English Teacher Super Powers: Developing Highly Engaging Units Worthy of Students' Time
Questions? Contact Amy Ruppert, program assistant: 920.236.0562
Drawing on the work of Cris Tovani, Kelly Gallagher, Samantha Bennett and Pernille Ripp, Elizabeth and Kathy will provide support to high school English teachers through the reconstruction of an existing unit of study to increase student engagement and learning.
Workshop Learning Targets
- Be able to articulate what matters MOST to increase student engagement and learning.
- Identify key unit and daily planning moves that facilitate high student engagement and learning.
- Examine model units which are aligned to Common Core Student Standards (CCSS), built upon the Gradual Release of Responsibility Model, and designed to prepare students for summative assessments that truly evaluate student mastery.
- Apply learning to restructure existing units, supporting greater student mastery of CCSS.
- Design summative assessments around “cold” reads that require students to draw on skills developed during the unit.
Who should attend?
High school English teachers, literacy and instructional specialists, curriculum and instruction coordinators and high school principals.