In-Depth Lesson Development with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
During this day we’ll work through steps in planning an NGSS-aligned lesson (or series of lessons). Teachers will be guided through the process and be provided time to work on each element.
The steps will include:
1) Determine a goal - what do I want students to be able to do? How do I frame an NGSS-based learning target?
2) Choose phenomena – what is a meaningful context for this learning?
3) Bundle standards – how does this lesson fall into the progression of learning?
4) Design investigations – how will students use the practices and crosscutting concepts? What makes it three-dimensional? How can I build this work around the 5E model?
5) Talk and literacy – how do I get students communicating, reading, and writing like scientists? How do I connect to disciplinary literacy?
6) Peer review and sharing
Expectation: By the end of the day, each person or team will have a lesson or series of lessons sketched out. We’ll share them in a Google folder.
Learning outcomes include:
- Participants will explore the NGSS to align lessons with this vision.
- Participants will create one or more lessons aligned to the NGSS.
This workshop is offered at no cost to those districts participating in the STEM consortium, including the districts of Abbotsford, Altoona, Augusta, Bloomer, Bruce, Cadott, Chippewa Falls, Colby, Cornell, Eau Claire, Eleva-Strum, Fall Creek, Flambeau, Gilman, Gilmanton, Granton, Greenwood, Ladysmith, Lake Holcombe, Loyal, Mondovi, Neillsville, New Auburn, Osseo-Fairchild, Owen-Withee, Spencer, Stanley-Boyd, and Thorp. The cost for all others is $350 per participant.