(Tomahawk) Just in Time
#251 Safe and Healthy Schools and Communities
(Tomahawk) Just in Time
Registration: 8:30-9:00 am; Training 9:00 am-4:00 pm
March 15, 2017
304 Kaphaem Road; PO Box 449
Tomahawk, WI 54487
Contact: Lynn Verage, CESA #9
(715) 453-2141; email@example.com
Traumatized youth often react to frustrations with negative or explosive behaviors that are difficult to anticipate and manage in the classroom. If you’ve found yourself saying, “I didn’t see that coming,” or “They just blew up on me for no reason,” then this workshop will help. Through lecture, video and small group discussion, our full-day workshop will teach psychoeducation, behavioral prevention and early intervention skills for educators in the classroom. You will practice prevention and de-escalation strategies focused on language, body posture, tone of voice and negotiation to help you and your students feel emotionally safer so they can learn.
- Understand how the “brain’s danger alarm” works and how to identify trauma triggers and re-enactment cycles in the classroom. (Tier 1)
- Learn how to use psychoeducation materials classroom-wide to provide language and strategies to manage emotional distress. (Tier 1)
- Learn and practice “just-in-time” skills and strategies to reduce the escalation of student negative emotional behaviors. (Tier 2/3)
- Create an intervention plan specific to a trauma (Tier 3)
- Integrate trauma-model interventions with the Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) framework. (Tier 1)
- Learn how to practice and implement mindfulness activities to improve student focus and decrease reactive emotions (Tier 1)
Teachers, administrators, support staff, and pupil services
COST: $35.00 (Includes lunch and snacks)
REGISTER ONLINE: Tomahawk—http://login.myquickreg.com/register/event/event.cfm?eventid=17040
REGISTRATION OR BILLING QUESTIONS: Mary Devine, firstname.lastname@example.org
Send payment to:
923 East Garland Street
West Salem, WI 54669
ATTN: Mary Devine
PLEASE include and clearly define: Participant name, exact name of workshop, and date, with all checks or purchase orders. Thank you!
Weather Conditions: If a workshop has been cancelled due to weather conditions, every effort will be made to reschedule the workshop. If weather conditions are questionable, please call CESA #4 Voice Mail at (608) 786-4800; Toll Free (800) 514-3075. A message will be posted regarding workshop weather cancellations.
Other Helpful Hints: Room temperatures vary from one workshop location to another, so bring a jacket or sweater for maximum comfort.
Accommodations: If you need an accommodation to participate including interpreter services (sign language or other spoken language) please email the workshop contact to set up these services. A two-week notice is appreciated.
CESA #4 IS HANDICAPPED ACCESSIBLE.