(Green Bay-Day 1 and Kimberly-Day 2) School SBIRT Training (Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment) A Training Opportunity for Middle and High School Student Services Staff
#251 Safe and Healthy Schools and Communities
(Green Bay-Day 1; Kimberly-Day 2) School SBIRT Training (Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment) A Training Opportunity for Middle and High School Student Services Staff
Registration: 8:00am—8:30am; Workshop: 8:30am-3:30pm
January 17 Cancelled due to ice storm
February 8 and March 7, 2017
February 8 - CESA #7
595 Baeten Road
Green Bay, WI 54304
March 7 - Liberty Hall, 800 Eisenhower Drive,
Kimberly, WI 54136
Contact: Jackie Schoening, CESA #6
(920) 236-0515; firstname.lastname@example.org
What is SBIRT?
SBIRT offers an efficient, evidence-based, and comprehensive service to address selected behavioral health concerns among adolescents. The service begins with administering a standardized Screening instrument. For students who show moderate or high risk results, a Brief Intervention (BI) is conducted. The BI is delivered with motivational interviewing and is protocol-guided. For those students who show high risk concerns and who do not respond to the BI, a Referral to Treatment may be initiated.
Why SBIRT in Schools?
- Evidence-based for addressing student alcohol/drug involvement and evidence-informed for addressing a range of other behavioral concerns, including attendance, classroom behavior, and mental health
- Student-centered and strength-based
- Teens rate the service with high levels of satisfaction
- Provides a Tier II and Tier III practice with PBIS
- Response-to-Intervention can be ascertained by using baseline and follow-up screening results
- A requirement of registration is to complete: 1. A Pre-training Reading Assignment, and 2. An initial Implementation Plan. Both are available at: www.wishschools.org/resources/schoolsbirt.cfm
The school implementation plan must be submitted one week prior to training to: Tracy Herlitzke, email@example.com
- Initial Training (Day 1) — Overview of SBIRT, introduction to the requisite skills (Motivational Interviewing), and practice on delivering protocol-guided Brief Intervention services. Audio tape delivery of Brief Intervention.
- Adopt SBIRT Into Practice and Continue Implementation Planning — Staff deliver SBIRT services and track initial implementation. Staff meet with student services leadership to complete Implementation Plan.
- Follow-up Training (Day 2) — Staff receive individualized feedback from fidelity review of audiotape. Continue skill building, practice delivering SBIRT, and refining Implementation Plan.
- New this year — Staff will participate in monthly implementation coaching calls for (supported TA) or (support and ETA)?
Workshop Questions: Tracy Herlitzke (608) 786-4838; firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Questions: Mary Devine (608) 786-4800; email@example.com
Register Online: Kimberly - http://login.myquickreg.com/register/event/event.cfm?eventid=16728
Cost: $100/per person (Lunch and snacks provided) Payable to: CESA #4
Send Payment to: CESA #4 ATTN: Mary Devine, 923 East Garland Street, West Salem, WI 54669—PLEASE include and clearly define: Participant name, exact name of workshop, and date, with all checks or purchase orders. Thank you!
One Grad Credit Available through Viterbo University for $200
Weather Conditions: If a workshop has been cancelled due to weather conditions, every effort will be made to reschedule the workshop. If weather conditions are questionable, please call CESA #4 Voice Mail at (608) 786-4800; Toll Free (800) 514-3075. A message will be posted regarding workshop weather cancellations.
Other Helpful Hints: Room temperatures vary from one workshop location to another, so bring a jacket or sweater for maximum comfort.
Accommodations: If you need an accommodation to participate including interpreter services (sign language or other spoken language) please email the workshop contact to set up these services. A two-week notice is appreciated.
CESA #4 IS HANDICAPPED ACCESSIBLE.