National Board Certification Cohort
Obtaining National Board Certification is not designed to be done on your own. CESA 5's National Board Certification Cohort will support you in this very rigorous process. While we hope that all of the support and structured time committments lead you to certification success, this cohort will commence in June of 2017. CESA 5 will continue to offer cohort options if and when you still need future support in obtaining your certification.
What is included in the cohort?*
- 8 monthly meetings, with Lead Mentor Wendy Sondrol, President of the Wisconsin National Board Network (see below for vitae)
(These monthly meetings will be determined by the cohort, beginning in September and ending in May.)
- Jump Start Writing Retreat (8/19/16) (Please note, this would normally cost $800 alone!)
- Readers in your discipline for feedback (Know what the assessors are looking for.)
- Mentor advice
- A place to go with questions
- The support of those in the cohort
- Access to CESA 5 resources
*Please note: registration for the cohort does not include expenses for obtaining National Board Certification.
Why should you be a part of this?
- Wisconsin offers National Board Certification reimbursement for up to $2000 for costs incurred.
- Scholarships are available.
- Some local school districts use Title monies and/or professional development funds to provide fee support to candidates seeking certification. Please inquire with your principal or central office administrator to see if this is a possibility for you.
- After the initial year of certification, Wisconsin NBCTs are eligible to receive annual grants of $2500 or $5000 per year for the remaining nine years of a National Board certificate.
Wendy Sondrol earned National Board Certification, the most rigorous, exacting license process in the nation, in 2004. She successfully renewed her certification in 2015. She has served as president to the Wisconsin National Board of Certified Teachers Network and currently facilitates Jump Start, writing retreats and other candidate support activities. Ms. Sondrol is also one of the only Wisconsin teachers who has also worked as an NBCT assessor; in 2015 a sizable portion of her work was selected for publication under the national Jump Start umbrella.
Ms. Sondrol is currently a teacher of emotionally disturbed and at-risk teenagers, completing her 25thyear in the classroom. During this time, she was selected as a Herb Kohler finalist scholar and has written and published works concerning therapeutic writing, currently serves as a writing consultant for UW- Milwaukee.
Cohort price: (does not include certification expenses)
$600 for CESA 5 School Improvement Consortium Members
$800 All Others
(Contact Melissa Sumwalt regarding your district's membership: email@example.com)
-This price is inclusive for the entire length of the cohort, approximately 6/1/16-5/31/17.
Payment for the Cohort is due to CESA 5 by 6/1/16.
Questions? Contact Clair Fedderly: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are unable to issue refunds for cancellation after June 1st due to expenses incurred. CESA 5 reserves the right to cancel any event. Registered participants will be notified via email if a cancellation occurs and will receive a full refund. Inclement weather policy: This event will not be cancelled due to weather conditions. This cancellation policy replaces the CESA 5 standard cancellation policy, stated below.